Looking for a place
Signing the Lease
– initial on page 4 that you will check the smoke detectors,
– initial on page 8 at c.) and d.) that you have received the Landlord-Tenant Regulations, Protect Your Family from Lead in Your Home, Tenants Rights Under the District’s Lead Law, and District of Columbia Tenant Bill of Rights,
– then sign and date the lease at the bottom right on page 8.
– On page 10, read the information that has been completed about the property by the landlord and the please complete Section C and sign on the bottom of the page.
You will need to set up the utilities specified in the lease:
- Electricity: PEPCO, 202-833-7500, www.PEPCO.com; set it up for the day before your move in to make sure the lights are on when you open the door.
- Gas: Washington Gas, 703-750-1000, www.WashingtonGas.com.
- Water: For many properties with multiple units, water/sewer is included in the rent. For houses, the DC Water bill may come to the house addressed to Owner/Occupant. You do not need to change it. Just pay the bill as it comes.
- Telephone: You may also need to establish a land-line phone if you have an older security system. Yarmouth will be able to provide this information at lease signing. In some condos, you may need a local phone number to access the intercom. In both of these cases, you can use whatever low-cost, local-only phone service you can find.