Looking for a place
Signing the Lease
– initial on page 4 that you will check the smoke detectors,
– initial on page 8 at c.) and d.) that you have received the Landlord-Tenant Regulations, Protect Your Family from Lead in Your Home, Tenants Rights Under the District’s Lead Law, and District of Columbia Tenant Bill of Rights,
– then sign and date the lease at the bottom right on page 8.
– On page 11, please check and date both marked lines toward the bottom that you have received the lead paint information, the Lead Paint brochure, and the Tenant Rights Under the DC Lead Law, and sign and date below those lines.
You will need to set up the utilities specified in the lease:
- Electricity: PEPCO, 202-833-7500, www.PEPCO.com; set it up for the day before your move in to make sure the lights are on when you open the door.
- Gas: Washington Gas, 703-750-1000, www.WashingtonGas.com.
- Water: For many properties with multiple units, water/sewer is included in the rent. For houses, the DC Water bill may come to the house addressed to Owner/Occupant. You do not need to change it. Just pay the bill as it comes.
- Telephone: You may also need to establish a land-line phone if you have an older security system. Yarmouth will be able to provide this information at lease signing. In some condos, you may need a local phone number to access the intercom. In both of these cases, you can use whatever low-cost, local-only phone service you can find.